Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mathematics Teaching

We know there is a crisis in mathematics education in Australia. But what is being done about it?

This item from The Conversation suggests we are going to make it worse because teaching and learning professionals want to make a post-degree education qualification two-years.

Meanwhile the ALP went to the last federal election with a program called Teach Next promising to extend its fast-track process being trialled in Victoria to the rest of the country. Other states like NSW have tried to "convert" non-mathematics graduates into maths teachers.

As a mathematics graduate I sometimes wonder whether I shouldn't retrain and go forth and teach. The challenge for me is I really don't know if I could be any good at it. I could teach motivated students - but could I motivate the disinterested?

My sense is that mathematicians considering teaching are more likely to be attracted by the kind of "on-the=job" training that the Gillard government proposed.

A good question for an education reporter right now would be to ask the Feds what they are doing.

Novae Meridianae Demetae Dexter delenda est

No comments: