Monday, January 21, 2008

Glad I'm not there

An item in the SMH describes the problems being experienced by AAPT's new call centre (and computer system).

You can bet the consequence will be a huge increase in TIO complaints, so I'll be able to bask in the glory of declining complaint levels while I ran the show and increases after I left.

The story really is a bit more complicated!!! However, one does question the wisdom of the whole "step out" change process that was employed. While the theory is great - maximise the benefits of the change by creating the opportunity to remove the most staff - the practical reality is that there really isn't such a thing as a "labour market". By that I mean that the skills required in a job are not ever actually available "off the shelf" in the marketplace.

What I'd really like to see is the report by the change management consultancy - Deloittes - on the change. Will the blame be laid at the door of management changes at AAPT, failure to properly implement the Deloittes change program or will it be a questioning of the Deloittes change methodology!

No comments: