Thursday, October 19, 2006

Cultivating grass

My last post received an anonymous comment that asked a question about my profile. So I thought I should put the record straight.

I have a number of hobbies/interests but my older daughter took to telling her uni mates that her Dad's hobbies were "playing bridge and cultivating grass". This was good to get a good eyebrow raise and so I took to adding it to my corporate CV and now my blog profile.

But the grass I cultivate is not the one everyone's mind seems to leap to - it is instead oplismenus. You can see some details at the Royal Batanic Gardens, North Sydney Council or Hornsby Herbarium. This is commonly known as "basket grass" and is a native grass. It is a native grass in the little it of bushland behind my house and I have been making one small patch very much bigger. The other native grass I have patches of is "right angle grass". And I had a great deal of excitement when I discovered some good patches of "scurvy weed" amongst the wandering jew.

Unfortunately I haven't developed the ability to post photos here yet so I can't show you.

And - anonymous - to organise the game of bridge we need to know who you are.

No comments: